02 Mar Save The Planet – Buy local / Fairtrade
There are many benefits to buying locally grown food including the environmental important. It’s simple really, if your food travels less of a distance it has a smaller carbon footprint.
Here’s some other reasons why:
- It can be fresher, tastier and last longer.
- Less packaging is involved
- Support the local economy
And now the how:
- Do your research: Visit Farm Shop to find your nearest farmers’ market
- Join a veg/fruit box scheme, find out more
- Buy from a local bakery or butchers
- Find out what’s in season here
- Search for local at the supermarket
You’ve probably heard of Fairtrade, but what does it actually mean?
Fairtrade is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers. Fairtrade set certain standard for its farmers and gives advice on switching to environmentally friendly practices and adapting to climate change and mitigating their impact.
You can easily find Fairtrade fruit and veg, coffee, and chocolate in supermarkets.