01 Apr Save The Planet – Switch It Off
Wasted energy is detrimental to the planet as the more energy we use the more fossil fuel gases such as carbon are emitted into the atmosphere. But the good news is it’s an easy fix. Are you guilty of leaving your lights on when you’re not home or when you leave a particular room? If so, you’re not alone.
6.5m people admit to leaving the lights on when not in the room at home which equates to:
💸 Total money wasted in the UK per day – £14,950,000
💨 Carbon dioxide emissions per day – 37,440,000 kg
✈️ These emissions equate to 62 flights around the world
How to reduce your energy consumption
- Turn lights off, easier said than done for some of us
- Use natural light for as much of the day as possible
- Turn off plugs when you’re not using them
- Unplug unused electronics such as the toaster or your phone charger. Does it need to be plugged in when you’re not using it…? No!
- Take shorter showers
- Not home? Turn off your thermostat
- Run full loads of washing and use a cooler wash