16 Jul Top tips for moving out
Top Tips For Moving Out
At this time of year we’re always sad to say goodbye to our residents who are leaving us but hope that these top tips will help all students with some structure and advice to making moving out of your student home as easy as possible. And, let’s remember – returning your space in the same condition when you moved in means you’ll get your full deposit back 😊
Here are our top ten tips
- Buying moving boxes, packing tape and heavy duty binbags are essentials
- Sorting things by category so it’s easy to pack, and even easier to unpack
- Labelling your boxes and bags with your name and what’s in them
- Use bubble wrap or blankets to protect fragile items
- If there’s going to be a gap between where you’re living or you need to arrange shipping of your belonging back home then it’s wise to book in advance. This way you’ll make sure you get a slot, as well as not paying last minute prices.
- Things happen, the sooner your let your property team know the better. Especially with any outstanding maintenance issues so they can be resolved before you move out and risk having charges against your deposit.
- If you live with us then arrange your room inspection as soon as possible so it’s booked in.
- We’ve also launched time slots for moving out on check-out day and the days prior. Booking a slot is essential to ensure we minimise the number of people coming and going, to follow guidance and make sure COVID-19 guidance is followed.
- Definitely a crucial part to protect your deposit for your own space and the kitchen / lounge space if you’re in a shared apartment.
- Take the challenge to give everything a sparkle clean so when you close your door for the last time you know you’re leaving it in a perfect condition.
- Shops are open for cleaning products, and if you’re not venturing out then you’ll be able to order everything you need online.
- Top tip: if you’ve changed your showerhead, remember to put the original one back one. And don’t forget to empty your fridge / freezer when you leave!
- You might find that the bins become full quicker than usual around check-out time so rather than saving all of your rubbish until check-out day we recommend staying on top of it.
- We are happy to accept items for charity instead of them being thrown away. This could be good quality clothing, electrical items and bedding. If you have items that you think may be useful to students living here next year, we will give them away free of charge when students arrive.
7) Arrange mail forwarding and update your addresses
- Royal Mail offer a redirection service that you might find helpful. This allows you to redirect all your mail to any UK or Overseas address for 3, 6 or 12 months. Just ask at any Post Office branch or visit www.royalmail.com for further details.
- Creating a spreadsheet which has all of the companies who have your address is a handy tool for life. You’ll have in one easy place everyone you need to update when you move home, don’t forget your favourite online retailers too – you don’t want parcels you order arriving at your previous address.
- Let’s be realistic, you’re going to have heavy boxes and bags so make sure you are fuelled with a good meal beforehand so you have plenty of energy.
- Be careful when lifting and moving heavy items. There are lots of manual handling articles out there which offer great advice on how to lift in the safest way.
- Remember, at Prime Student Living your team will be on hand to help you when we can. Make sure you’ve booked your move out slot so we know we’ll have spare hands to assist,
- It’s so easy to wave au revoir to your home and get to your next destination when you realise your keys are still in your pocket.
- Check you’re handing in all of the keys you were giving, don’t forget the postbox key!
- Moving out of your student home can be emotional but make sure you’ve got everyone’s latest phone number and that you’re friends on Facebook so you can keep in touch and relive the best memories together.
- Following guidance we won’t be hosting leaving parties this year but from all of the team at Prime Student Living we feel privileged that you chose to live with us, and really hope that you enjoyed your time here. We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for living with us.
To book a check-out slot please click on your property below